Thursday, May 12, 2011

My Enlistment: Part 7

I haven't heard anything in awhile, which is pretty normal. The job drops come only once a month and it's about the same time that our DEP (Delayed Entry Program) meetings are (around the 3rd week of every month). We have one next Thursday, so I am assuming I will know if I booked a job or not by then. In the mean time I have been trying to workout at least 3 times a week. I got a free 30 day membership to a gym close by to get me out and away from the house so I can concentrate on working out, otherwise I know I would just sit around and say I can do it later, or something.
I have been trying to get my running time down to the basic requirement which is 1.5 miles in 11:57. It took me a few times of running to get used to it again, but after a little bit of work I finally reached it, I can now run 1.5 miles in 11:50, but now the objective is to make that an easy thing to do on a daily basis. The timing is to put the treadmill at 7.6 mph and that gets you finished at about the 11:50 mark. Withing the next few times I want to just kick it up to 8mph and just keep it there and use that as a base point to run at. Eventually I will take to running the path around the lake at my house, but until then I figure this is a good way to get started and get my legs really used to the running again. In jr. high I used to be able to run a mile in like 5 minutes, but I have gotten old since then, that was about 13 years ago when I was in 8th grade. I also lift some weights and things while at the gym, but nothing major, I don't need to be the incredible hulk or anything, just toned enough to do enough push ups, sit ups, and pull ups on command, and to pass my physical fitness test.

In other news, my youngest daughter, Nora, fell off the slide and sliced open her forehead the other day at daycare. My wife took her in and they just used the surgical glue and steri strips to close it up, and said she will have a small scar. At least it's on her brow line so that might cover it some. But it's things like this that are going to be hard for me. Sounds dumb, but when I am away I will not be there for my girls when they get "owie's". Its hard because I don't want to miss being there for them, but I just have to keep thinking that this will be good for them all in the long run, even if I don't get to be there for them for every "boo boo".

Well hopefully next week I will have some news, otherwise it will be another month before I hear anything again. I will update again next week after we have our DEP meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment