Been awhile since my last update, about a month. The last Job drop came and went and I didn't get anything, nor did anyone else in my DEP Group. They said it was a horrible drop all around, just not a lot of jobs available and the ones that did come were crap.
We talked about doing volunteer opportunities that we need to do as a group and a few ideas came around, the main one being a ranch that we can go to and help with the horses, like cleaning up crap or helping kids ride them and stuff like that. I'd prefer to help a kid than shovel some crap, but that's just my two cents.
Since then I had an idea of seeing if 'Defending the Blue Line' needed any help. They are a group that tries to raise money and equipment to give to kids whose parents are in the military and might not be able to afford for their kids to play hockey, Awesome group! I have talked briefly with one of the people higher up about our group volunteering and he is prior Air Force as well and would love to have us come out and help with some things. On the side I also submitted a design for a memorial logo for Derek Boogaard that played for the New York Rangers last, but with the Minnesota Wild for his whole career pretty much. He died accidentally in his Minneapolis apartment after mixing prescription drugs and alcohol. The contest ends tomorrow (6/14/11) and after over 40 entries mine made it to the top 10 and is currently in the lead by about 34 votes with over 1,100 votes total so far. The winning design will be made into a t-shirt and sold with all the benefits going to Defending the Blue line, which Derek was a huge supporter of. So it's neat to see everything I am doing helping this group, since it is two things I am interested in together.
Our next DEP meeting is this Thursday, June 16th 2011, and I am supposed to bring any more info I have on the event for helping with Defending the Blue line. I also found out the job drop came through, but they won't be finished booking jobs until sometime next week so I won't know until then if I booked a job or not. I hope I did, not that I want to leave my family sooner, but want to finally know whats going on and get it done and over with so I can start my families new life soon. It's been stressful not knowing we can plan this or that because I don't know if I'll be around or not.
The last DEP meeting we had had a guy that just finished his technical training and hasn't reported to his first duty station yet even. It was nice to be able to have us all ask questions and see what it was like so recent going through basic and all that. He did say that while he was down at Basic that 3 different people tried to commit suicide, with 1 succeeding. I just can't see how it can be that bad, I mean he signed up for it, so why sign up if it's nothing you wanted to do, or knew you couldn't take it? I've heard its really stressful on your mind and body, but I can't see it getting as bad as to take your own life, and not just at basic, but anytime in life. But only time will tell how stressful it really is to one person.
Hopefully I will have some good news within the next week, if not expect another break between updates.
No comments:
Post a Comment